Norfolk, VA Attorney Fights Gender Discrimination
Women and men in America are entitled to equal treatment. That’s not an opinion, it’s the law. For 19 years, Christian L. Connell P.C. has fought to stamp out gender discrimination. If you’re a woman who has been denied a promotion in your company or comparable pay, and if you believe your gender was weighed as a factor against you, I’m here to help. I handle sex discrimination in employments cases.
Advocating fair employment practices
While much progress has been made in establishing equality in the workplace, sex discrimination still occurs in many areas and in many ways. I represent clients who’ve suffered discrimination over issues such as:
- Benefits – Even though women tend to be more costly to insure, the law requires they be given equal access to healthcare.
- Hiring– In the past, women have complained about not being hired or promoted due to gender, but discrimination now seems specific to occupations and industries. For example, women suffer from discrimination in engineering, while men find it hard to get hired as secretaries or promoted to management in cosmetics. In either case, the discrimination violates federal law.
- Firing– When layoffs seem to disproportionately affect one gender, discrimination may be at play.
- Pay – A person’s gender cannot be a factor in determining his or her salary or wages.
- Pregnancy– Refusal to hire or make reasonable accommodations for a pregnant person (or one who might become pregnant) is considered discrimination under federal law.
- Promotion – If all promotions seem to be going to employees of one gender, discrimination may be a factor.
- Sexual harassment – Perpetrating or tolerating this behavior is considered discrimination under federal law. Unwanted sexual conduct in the workplace is illegal if it is meant as a condition of employment or becomes so pervasive that it creates a hostile environment. The definition of sexual harassment is not gender-specific in regards to perpetrator or victim.
Contact Christian L. Connell P.C., a determined fighter for gender equality
To schedule an appointment to discuss your discrimination claim with Christian L. Connell P.C., call my Norfolk, Virginia office at 757-533-6500 or contact me online.